1. Make sure that your dishwasher, washing machine, toilets, etc. are not running. Turn off all faucets inside and outside.
  2. Record your meter reading on the water meter located outside your home close to street. While recording your reading. Check the flow indicator.
  3. Wait 2 to 6 hours using absolutely no water. (Remember not to flush any toilets during this time.)
  4. Record your meter reading again and compare the two readings.
  5. If the reading has increased, you may have a leak, and you may want to contact a licensed plumber or repair the leak yourself.
  6. If the reading is the same, you do not have a leak.
  1. Locate your meter, which is typically in your front yard on the corner near the street.
  2. Remove the meter lid from your meter box. Remember to replace this lid when you are finished.
  3. Locate the shut-off valve, which is located on the street side of the meter.
  4. You will need a crescent or tee wrench (also called cut-off key). This wrench can be purchased at any hardware or home improvement store.
  5. Attach the wrench to the shut-off valve and slowly turn the valve clockwise a quarter of a turn. This will stop the water flowing into your home.
  6. Confirm that you have closed the valve and stopped the water flow by going inside and turning on a faucet.
  7. To restore service, attach the wrench to the shut off valve and slowly turn the valve counter clockwise.

Water can exert a natural force on pipes when it changes directions in fittings and/or bends, or it is suddenly stopped or started. This is commonly called “water hammer.” Sometimes a water outage in your area can cause this, as line repairs can produce air pockets. To see if this is the case, turn on an outside faucet or cold-water bathtub faucet and let it run for a few minutes. If the noise subsides, it was likely due to air in the line. If it continues, here are three common causes:

  • Commode fill valve is malfunctioning
  • Pressure balance valve in tub and/or shower is malfunctioning
  • Pressure reducing valve needs to be replaced

Many factors can affect your water use such as time of year, letting cold water drip or run to prevent pipes from freezing, watering plants, washing cars, filling pool, showering more often, and houseguests. However, water leaks can often be a culprit with even the smallest of leaks using hundreds of gallons of water. It is important to check for leaks often and fix them immediately.

An account has to be billed one time before you can register.

If you have Bank Draft (free of charge) through MSUD call the office and update. If you have Auto-Pay (cost of $1.95) though Invoice Cloud – you update on the web portal directly.

Madison Suburban Utility District water continues to meet all federal and state water quality standards and water treatment standards. Detailed information about our testing results and the source of your drinking water can be found in our Water Quality Report, which is annually distributed, to all our customers.

The decision to buy bottled water is a personal one. In the U.S., bottled water is less regulated than municipal drinking water, and it is more expensive (a gallon of MSUD water costs less than a penny; a gallon of bottled water costs approximately $1). Because utilities are so heavily regulated, you don’t need to buy bottled water for health reasons.

To terminate your water service, call the MSUD business office at least one business day prior to the date you need to schedule your water to be taken out of your name. The Representative taking your information will make a work order while you are on the phone and will give you a Final Confirmation number. You need to make reference of that number and keep it until you receive a bill that is marked FINAL.

MSUD is your water provider and bills for water service only based on actual usage collected from meter readings. Metro Water Services and City of Goodlettsville, depending where your service is located takes our water readings and bills for sewer (based on water consumption) and charges a stormwater fee.

Call Metro Water Service 615-862-4600 or City of Goodlettsville 615-851-2200

Photo Driver License, other identification, SS number, lease or closing papers with address and date of occupancy.

Commercial bills are due the 25th of each month.
Residential bills are due the 15th of each month.
Residential bills on MSUD Bank Draft are due the 25th of each month.